Eye Tracking Technology
I am a lazy person and I always wanted to control the things such as switch on/off, mouse movement, car driving etc., without body movement(specially in winters). Now these things are not only imagination these are reality now a days. Eye Tracking is the technology that can make all these things possible.
Eye tracking is the process of measuring either the point of gaze (where one is looking) or the motion of an eye relative to the head. An eye tracker is a device for measuring eye positions and eye movement.
A device or computer equipped with an eye tracker “knows” what a user is looking at. This makes it possible for users to interact with e.g. computers using their eyes.
After touch-pads and voice controls, eye tracking is next and best till date, human interface.
With the Eye Tracking technology, following things can be achieved-
- Driving cars
- Playing Video games
- Virtual reality games
- Watching TV and changing channels just by blinking eyes
Turning pages while reading E-Books
- Controlling lights
- Using computers without mouse, touch-pad or other input devices
- Making many things accessible to the handicapped people such as driving, using computers etc.
- Gaze analytics to inform app developers and advertisers what people look at most.
- Open LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter etc. profile just looking at someone’s face.
- Like Facebook post
- Some companies which are providing Eye Tracking devices are-
- The Eye Tribe – http://theeyetribe.com/
Tobii Tech – http://www.tobii.com/tech/products/
Google has acquired Eyefluence.
Oculus (owned by Facebook) has acquired Eye Tribe.
- The Eye Tribe has developed a $99 eye tracking device developer kits for computers, and software that can bring gaze-based interfaces to smartphones and potentially virtual reality headsets.
- Please have a look at the following very interesting and important video -https://youtu.be/aNoFy4vGfkY
How does it work?
The eye tracker – which consists of sensors (camera + projectors) and algorithms. Camera and projectors provide data related to Eye movement and Gaze, a lot of processing is done using some complex algorithms, to know that at what point user is looking exactly.